Wednesday, June 10, 2009

All my friends are back from Europe

and I'm still as boring as ever.

I've been spending the long, sunny summer days locked up in the tower that is the Daniel J. Macdonald building. My job with DVA this summer is so much better than what I was doing last year. Any time a veteran died last summer, he/she showed up as a workitem on my computer screen. I had to sort all of the dead veterans and divy them up amongst my reapers, who then sorted out the poor person's finances. As cool and Dead Like Me-ish that sounds, it was never exactly an upbeat job. This year I'm writing letters to veterans that say, "hey, it sucks you can't hear very much, so here's 15,000$ to help you through the pain!" It's a lot more positive, and as much as it sucks to read their medical sheets to see what effects their service had on them, it is so much better than dealing with deadies.

I still haven't got my bike in order, and my pipedream of biking straight from work to my cottage in Keppoch whenever the weather gets warmed is getting further and further away.

Twenty has been surprisingly eventful, it seems like this will be a fun year. And I feel like I should probably touch on the car crash. About a week after my last post, during my final few days as a nineteen year old, I was driving home from Montague at one in the morning and dozed off at the wheel. Coming into "the Buster's turn," a notorious curve if there ever was one, I regained my wits. I was going too fast though, and my car started to drift across the road as I went through the turn. Panicing, I tried to toggle the wheel in the opposite direction that I was turning to try and regain control. The tail end of my car whipped around and all of a sudden my car was doing 360's across the highway. I thought I was a gone-r. The tail end of the car slammed into the ditch and I was tossed around on the inside like a ragdoll. I hit my head on the roof of the car, and blacked out slightly for a few seconds. Opening my eyes, the passenger side of the car was completely smashed. Undoing my seatbelt, and after a minute of cursing and hysteria, I called my mom and told her what happened. She came and picked me up, and every person in every car and every truck, except one, stopped to see if I was okay. It was really touching, and it restored my faith in the generosity and compassion of others. The car was a write-off, and now the majority of my earnings this summer are going towards my Aunt's new Toyota Matrix.

I managed to escape the crash almost completely unscathed. A sprained finger, a few bruises, and a light bit of whiplash is pretty damned lucky, all things considered. Besides that, my life has been filled with booze, girls, Settlers, Jumbo Video, and so little sleep. I am actually going to try and update this more often. That just killed a half hour of my morning, I just got paid to write this!

1 comment:

yours truly said...

Worst part about working in Death: seeing the dates of birth. 1980's a little too close. :(